The Tri-Basin Natural Resources District (NRD) in collaboration with JEO Consulting Group, Inc. is in the process of updating the 2013 All-Hazards Mitigation Plan (HMP). The NRD’s existing HMP was approved by FEMA and adopted by participating jurisdictions in 2013. FEMA requires that an HMP be updated and approved within a five-year period.
A hazard mitigation plan is a community-guided document that identifies vulnerability to natural and man-made hazards, and mitigation projects to reduce or eliminate this vulnerability. Having an approved and updated plan enables your community to be stronger and more resilient by:
- Reducing your community’s risk and impacts from hazards and disasters such as: tornadoes, flooding, drought, hail, severe winter storms, agricultural plant and animal diseases, wildfire, chemical spills, etc.;
- Gaining eligibility for pre- and post-disaster mitigation grants, and
- Building partnerships within your community and across the counties.
Round 1 Meetings: The purpose of the Round 1 Meetings is to provide a brief overview of the hazard mitigation planning process and gather information needed to complete a draft of the plan. At this meeting, we will identify the hazards of greatest concern, identify critical facilities, and update the status of mitigation projects selected during the last hazard mitigation plan. Public meetings were held in the following:
- Elwood: Wednesday, June 28th, at 2:00 PM at the Legion Hall at Gosper County Fairgrounds, 623 Fair Ave, Elwood NE, 68937
- Minden: Thursday, July 6th, at 7:00 PM at the Minden Fire Hall, 246 N Colorado Ave, Minden NE, 68959-1623
- Holdrege: Wednesday, July 12th, at 7:00 PM at the Tri-Basin Natural Resources District, 1723 Burlington St, Holdrege NE, 68949-1313
Round 2 Meetings: The purpose of the Round 2 Meetings is to review mitigation actions from the previous plan and information gathered at Round 1 Meetings. At the Round 2 Meeting, we will: identify new mitigation actions, and evaluate community integration capabilities. Public meeting information is as follows:
- Elwood: Tuesday, October 17th, at 2:00 PM at the Legion Hall at Gosper County Fairgrounds, 623 Fair Ave, Elwood NE, 68937
- Holdrege: Wednesday, OCtober 18th, at 7:00 PM at the Tri-Basin Natural Resources District, 1723 Burlington St, Holdrege NE 68949
- Minden: Tuesday, October 24th, at 7:00 PM at the Minden Fire Hall, 246 N Colorado Ave, Minden NE 68959
The Tri-Basin Natural Resources District Hazard Mitigation Plan is currently available for a 30-day public comment period, which lasts from Monday, January 15th to Friday, February 16th, 2018. This is an opportunity to review the community profile section and submit any requested changes or corrections to JEO before its submission to FEMA and NEMA. The plan Upfront and each community’s participant section is available for download below.